Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta with Sauteed Multicolored Peppers

After enjoying The First Supper, I decided to search the web for more recipes to attempt.  I was looking for recipes that I could attempt alone, as well as recipes that I can make with Stef.  Before discussing what I have cooked, let me warn you all: I do NOT touch raw meat.  This includes chicken, fish, steak, and turkey.  I will not touch or cook it.  I started looking on allrecipes.com for some things to cook, but a lot had meat involved, and that does not work for me.  I suddenly remembered that Bethanny  Frankel has a few recipe books out.  After going to her website, I found a recipe I completely fell in love with: Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta with Sauteed Multicolored Peppers.  I love pasta, I love peppers and I love sauteed onions.   Before cooking this, I did have to google "how to saute".  I'm not embarrassed to say this, because cooking is all about learning new things.  I can now say I know how to saute!  Stef and I made this Friday night, and I remade it Saturday night for a party at my house.  The second time I cooked it, I used red, yellow and green peppers.  I enjoyed it a little better with green peppers, but than again, I'm a green pepper girl.  

The Original Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of peppers: a combo of red, yellow and/or orange,  sliced in thin strips
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
  • 8 ounces of whole wheat angel hair
  • ¼ cup fresh basil chiffonaded
  • ¼ cup parsley
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
  • large handful of baby spinach, optional
Preparation:

  1. Bring pasta water to a boil, seasoned with salt.
  2. In nonstick pan, over medium heat, saute onion and peppers in the olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.
  3. When tender, add tomatoes. With tongs, remove pasta from water and add to pan. (The pasta water is good for thickening sauce.)
  4. Add spinach and crushed red pepper.
  5. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
  6. Top with parmesan to taste and sprinkle basil on top.
I pretty much followed the recipe, since it was hard to deviate.    I did not include spinach because I do not like it.  However, Stef did make a comment that it would be very yummy with spinach in it.  I enjoyed it how it was.  However, I am not a big fan of cooked tomatoes.  I may leave them out next time, and attempt a light tomato sauce to put over the meal.  I would also like to try this dish with chicken or fish over it.  I give this dish 4 out of 5 stars. 

After creating this dish, I decided to buy one of Bethanny Frankel's cookbooks.  During the year 2011, I want to start cooking more, and cook healthier foods.  Frankel's books have dishes we all love, but usually have so many calories.  These cookbooks have healthy recipes to follow, as well as suggestions of how to substitute certain ingredients.  I highly suggest you all look through her books!

Chef Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment